Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Spank Me Daddy

Just read a article that says 94 percent of 3-4 years olds have been spanked in the last year. 74 percent of parents beleive it's OK to spank 1-3 year olds.

The article continued to say: Clearly, the majority of parents say they spank their kids. Various factors increase the likelihood, including geographic location (children in the South are spanked the most), family income (less money means more spanking), race (African-American mothers spank their children more than other ethnic groups), and religion (parents more fundamentalist in their religious beliefs spank more than those who are less so).

So in the age of the public "time out," privately, secretly parents are still smacking those behinds, like their parents did and their parents before them.

Coleman's not 2 yet, but he's at that kicking and screaming phase, mostly out of frustration because he can't tell us what he wants. So we cut him some slack, but there are days when I want to pluck those fingers or slap that leg. So far I'm holding back. Finding other ways. Distraction still works best, but he's beginning to figure that out.

We have not ruled out spanking yet. We're smart enough, educated enough, to know we have options, but ultimately I want to get my childs attention, and I'll do whatever I have to do to get it, social stigma be damned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE DON'T SPANK ME DADDY!
I'M TRYING TO TEACH YOU SOMETHING. ABOUT YOURSELF. YOU'VE BEEN A GOOD STUDENT SO FAR DON'T MESS IT UP NOW. The road less traveled is still the most rewarding!

Anonymous said...

Ah you! Well, I must confess I have spanked. Not in a formal put them over your knee situation, but I have given a little clip on the tooshie before putting them in the naughty spot. I am sure Jo Frost would not approve. So far...they seem to be OK. But...I don't know what else to do sometimes. A three and two year old running around all day is quite an assault on the senses. By the end of the day I am lucky if I haven't mailed one of them in a package to Guantanamo.

Really want to collaborate with you on something. My sleep deprivation is standing in the way of creativity at the moment. Need your inspiration to kick start me. Any thoughts? I just don't think we can continue to hide our lights under bushels like this any more.

Much love you and yours gorgeous daddy man,

Clare