Sunday, July 16, 2006

Beautiful is temporary


The world is open to him. He laughs, he jumps, he makes unintelligible noises, he is applauded, wherever he is, whatever he's doing, whomever is watching. It's an amazing thing to witness. Every age, every color, they just want to stop and take him in. Does this happen with all children? I only have one, so I have nothing to compare it to.

He demands that you acknowledge him. "Hi', hi, hi," he'll keep saying it until you respond, lately he's added a miss America hand wave to his greeting. It's unbelievably adorable. I love the back handed compliments we get - "He looks just like both of you, but he's beautiful."

Our friend Nadine asks us if we know how beautiful he is? I don't think about it, until somebody else mentions it. I think about other things, like -
is he eating enough,
is he eating too much,
when will the rest of his teeth come in,
will they come in straight,
how young is too young to get braces,
is he learning enough,
is he playing enough,
do I play with him enough,
shouldn't he learn to play alone,
do we read to him enough,
should he be able to count by now,
should he be in preschool like some of his other friends,
he seems smart,
but how smart,
what are the other smarter kids doing at his age,
how can I make him smarter without turning him into a geek,
but a geek owns Microsoft,
so shouldn't that be OK.

Mostly I want him to be treated the way he's treated right now, every day for the rest of his life. But that's just not a realistic thought. He'll change, of course he'll change, but say by some miracle, he remains as open and as loving and as accepting as he is right now, how do I protect him from the way the world will respond to him. It'll be difficult enough to be 16, and smelly and awkward. Or 22 and less smelly, totally unsure of what you want to do with your life but positive that you know the answers to everything. It's a hard time for everyone, black white boy or girl. But if you're fair skinned, people don't cower when you get into an elevator, they don't fear that you'll rob them or violate them or marry their daughter.

It's something you learn to live with, I live with it every day. I get mad at myself sometimes, because I think I've overcompensated, I'm too accommodating, too willing to make people feel at ease. I try too hard to be the exception to what we've all been told is the rule. But If I get into an elevator and make small talk and make every effort to let this person know that they are in no danger, will their attitude change a little or will she consider herself lucky because she turned her rings around in time.

We've been taught to fear. Roz and I always say we live in the age of fear and consumption. Be fearful of the terrorists, they can come and kill you at any moment, but in the meantime go shopping. When the terrorist strike, we have to prove to them they haven't won, so - go see Spamalot. Many of the people who ran to the suburbs out of fear are running back to the cities. Why? Cause there's land to be bought. People will move to the depths of hell for cheap rent and an exposed brick wall. I don't want to pass this on to my kid, how do I teach him to not let the world define who he is? I have a little time before I have to start dealing with that - or do I? He's not even 2 years old yet.

Right now, he's beautiful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Craig,
This is beautiful and so on point. I have thought and do think many of these moments you have so eloqunetly put on paper. Though I feel I have no time, teach me how to blog if only for my family and Barak in later years. How do i set something like this up? You can write me via regular e-mail to Tuckerama@aol.com if you like.
your novice friend, Shona T

Craig T. said...

i'm speechless. your writing is profound.

oh, & he's beautiful beyond belief because he looks just like his daddy! ; )

Anonymous said...

Craig, this one made me cry. Hard.


Just beautiful. Keep 'em coming!


Best,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Talk about a great family structure....There needs to be more dads like you

Anthony Bertram

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig,

I just read your blog and thought it was great!
I don't know what it takes, but why don't you start an on-line "who's your daddy" support group for the brothers?
(Like you don't have enough to do!) Based upon some of your blog's comments, it's probably well overdue.
(I know some 'old dads' that could benefit and probably help provide life lessons as well.)
There are churches that have men's groups which talk about the issues of raising children in this world. But so many people would probably appreciate the anonymity and accessibility of the internet.

Take care,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig, thanks for sending link - read new blog through, words and pix just wonderful - you've got this really great gift - everything is so beautifully, almost poetically written, and I want to hear much more - Liz

Anonymous said...

love your blog, babydaddy.
Rich

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sending me your blog writings. Man, you're making me want to return to writing class NOW. Beautiful stuff.


Matthew

Anonymous said...

You are a dad in love.



Harry