Friday, June 23, 2006

Great Black Dads


So there are a ton of people out there who believe that I am some kind of anomaly, a caring black father, it shocks and saddens me.

My parents split when I was 4, dad died when I was 14 and I didn't see much of him in between. So by all rights, I should be one of those people who think black men as caring, nurturing and present, is an aberration. I am an aberration?

I don't think so.

I think all the black men out there who have been doing the do, just don't speak up enough.

Roz belongs to a couple of mother support groups, NYC MOMS and Hell's Kitchen's babies. They are big on email. On a daily basis information is shared, topics are debated and the milestones of our little ones are celebrated. They talk about everything from pre-schools and discipline to engorged breasts and yeast infections. I read ALL of the emails, every once and a while I chime in with an opinion, and another father may give some information, but it's mostly the mothers.

I have yet to see the equivalent for fathers. Are they out there some where and I just don't know about them?

I know some of us are doing things our fathers never did, like changing diapers and cleaning spit-up and doing laundry and washing dishes and staying home with child or children while wife works. Some of us are just getting comfortable with our new roles. And all of us who are silent cave-dwellers haven't a clue as to how to share.

Let me start.

I can't imagine not being in Coleman's life. I love the way he walks, the way he talks, the way he smells, the way he laughs, the way he whines, the way he eats, the way he plays, the way he sings, the way he hugs, the way he screams, the way he sleeps, everything. I'm going to be in his life and in his face everyday that God lets me.

It's not easy some days and he's not even two. Some days I can't get my work done or a decent nights sleep. Some days I can't wait for nap time or bed time or a play date or for grandma to show up. But that's OK, cause I'm gonna be in his life and in his face everyday that God lets me.

I don't want to belittle anyone's hurt or pain. There have been some bad dads. Black, white and every shade in between. This ain't about them. This is about those of us who choose to be in our children's life and in their face everyday that God lets us.

This is about Don, Roosevelt, Roosevelt Jr, Andre, Tyrone, Fred, Derek, Ali, Jamar, Gerald, Omar and Anthony, and about your great black dad. Hey guys - Say it loud, I'm a Black Dad and I'm Proud.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Craig,
We go way back from Kindergarten thru High School. Now, we are Dads-responsible Black men caring for our children. Your post on Great Black Dads was great. We don't always get our props because of the history of Black Dads. I personally know a group of Brothers (Black Dads) who are out there handling their business day in and day out. We, Black Dads have to stick together and be there for one another. Thanks for sharing...
Gerald

Anonymous said...

I am honored to be in such great company. Excellent piece, excellent blog.

Anonymous said...

You make me cry that really moved me. Black Dads who talk?! Share their FEELINGS?!!!...there's the revolution! Out of the caves and onto the streets..okay blogs! Morning has broken..I'm singing in the Rain.
And all this seemingly without example...
We are each our own fathers. The Divine Father lives in through and as us all.

Anonymous said...

Who's My Daddy? My daddy was an incredibily talented and incredibly frustrated african american man - born around 1906. After his parents died at an early age and the klan destroyed their property (it was decided they had no right to own as black people) in South Carolina, he ran away becoming a self-taught entertainer. He refused to do black-face, blacks were not allowed to join the actor's unions (he believed my membership was a lie), he couldn't copyright his original material (and watched famous white entertainers watch his acts with pencil and pad in hand)and lost his dance studio in Harlem in the 1940's. I was the last child and considered a late child. I saw an embittered man, who couldn't let go of his dreams, who couldn't let go of the dehumanizaing experiences of entering through the back, sleeping in the tour buses while his white counterparts slept in hotels, eating on the streets yaet paying the some money of those who sat at tables in chairs. He worked long hours in a small resturaunt, drank himsself into a stupor most weekends. but I always remember my father's presence, his hugs, his spoiling me, his love. Even when he and my mother broke-up (whcih was several times) he was present everyday for his children. "I dropped you" my father used to say. " Your mother might have birthe you, but I dropped you." He told us stories,held my hand when I was too old, toke me on outtings to all the City's landmarks. He said "...money goes from hand to mouth.." but he always made sure we had food on the table and my mother, who always worked at any job she could, would make a poor man's meal into that of a king or queen's. Drunk or sober, my daddy oved his children.

Anonymous said...

You busy busy wonderful man, you! Love your blog and love you and your family. Keep it coming -- and we’ll be the first to buy your book!

Anonymous said...

Hello there Craig. I read your blog this morning. Really enjoyed it. I truly enjoyed the blog about black fathers. Even though I am not a father...I have been called a "muther" LOL. But seriously I really enjoyed the piece on black fathers. There are many a good black fathers in this country. We have been emendated by such crap about black men not being "good fathers." I see many good black men who are great dads. They go about their daily lives every day with out notice or even recognition.
Hey man I am very proud of you and your lady for being damn good parents to Coleman.

Anonymous said...

AS A FULLTIME SINGLE MOMMY PREPPING TO RETURN TO NYC ALL I CAN SAY IS BEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFUUUULL
BEAUTIFUL!

I don't have much opportunity to check my e-mail but this blog was a beautiful message to wrap up our morning.....

Anonymous said...

you know you can't be having me cry @ work!...

Wow...that was sooo special...see now you making my clock tick just a little bit faster!..I can't wait to share parenthood with my husband (Doug).

Tonya said...

Hello Great Black Dads,

All of you great black fathers out there...please give me a call. I'm working on a project about Black Fathers and I would love an opportunity to speak with all of you!!!

I'm not a father but I am a sistah who had a black father who left a power legacy.

Please give me a call or e-mail me!

Thanks!
Tonya
(tonyat@jolafilms.com)
917-647-0123

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, nice Site, do you know where i can get some cool pregnancy stuff for my partner?