Tuesday, May 16, 2006

You Give Me Fever



what are my goals? Is watching your son grow up a goal? I need to look up the word goal. Say it is a goal, when do I reach my goal, when he's 21? 30? 40? I love watching him, it's great to watch him discover things. What he's discovered lately is his reflection in car doors. He just kind of stands there and looks at himself, smiles, then he rocks from side to side, he points at himself, smiles some more, then he moves to the next car. I'm watching him much more closely then usual, cause we weren't really watching the moment his fever turned into a seizure. He was playing in with his toys, then he very quietly walked over to Roz, sat in her lap and began convulsing. Roz says to me, "there's something wrong with Coleman. He's shaking." I walked over to her. I take him. He's shaking like he's really, really cold, but he's not, he's really hot. "Call 911," I say to Roz - I'm very calm "talk to daddy, tell daddy what's wrong." A silly request now that I think about it, he's only 16 months old. I try to see if there's something in his throat, maybe he's choking on something, but I can't get his mouth open, his little gums are clenched shut. The 911 operator is telling Roz to lay him on his side, and to put a cold compress on his forehead. I tell Roz to put the phone on speaker and get the wet cloth - I'm in control. My son has been shaking for a very long time, 2 minutes? 3 minutes? his lips are blue, his body is rigid, his eyes stare at me. He stops shaking, his eyes roll back in his head, then they close, he's not moving. I'm holding my son and I think I'm watching him die (I've always been too scared to admit that.) I don't know CPR. I lay him on the floor and get really really close, he's still breathing. He's sleeping. Roz hands me the cold cloth, I place it on his forehead. I'm still really calm "Roz get the diaper bag ready," the paramedics are on their way...

The door bell rings, would the paramedics ring the door bell, shouldn't they just bust in. I don't know what that first paramedic was expecting to see, but it wasn't a tiny little boy lying on a bare wood floor with a cold cloth on his forehead. I saw in his eyes what he saw and then I realized how frightened I was. He dropped to his knees and begin "working" on my son. He didn't do a lot, but it seemed like a lot. He put an oxygen mask over my son's mouth and he and his partner lifted him to the girney. The sight of my 2 foot tall son on a 7 foot girney was too much for me - all the saliva that should have been in my mouth came pouring out of my eyes. Roz says "he s going to be OK." She's in control now. In the ambulance the paramedics try and get Coleman agitated, they say a good sign that babies are OK are crying and fussiness. But Coleman just wants to sleep and he does so for the next five hours. He sleeps through poking and prodding and diaper changes and x-rays. He sleeps in my arms, he sleeps in Roz's arms, he sleeps in my mom's arms. He just sleeps. And we watch...

Then he wakes up, Roz is holding him. I offer him a little turkey from my half eaten sandwich and he eats, and he eats a little more and a little more until all the turkey is gone. Then he wants to get down, he's ready to explore his new surroundings, so I hold his hand as we walk around the emergency room.

Febrile Seizure!! Lot's of kids under 5 get them. Caused by a spike in fever, he might get it again, there are no lasting effects, he'll be fine - we were told to go home. No lasting effects my ass. When he gets a little warm and babies are always a little warm, we're quicker to reach for the baby tylenol or baby moltrin or baby whatever will not cause my son to have another seizure. I feel kinda of robbed of the innocence of watching him play, every trip, fall or bump takes on the tiniest bit more urgency. But he's great, he's running and playing and talking and singing and a constant source of joy - and fear.

Our ordeal lasted only a few hours, what about the parents who spend days in hospitals, weeks, months - when does the saliva return to their mouths.

We watch him a little more closely now. I watch what I do, say, think and write a little more closely. I'm a husband, father and writer and this is my blog.

24 comments:

Rivoningo said...

Oh my God....I was practically in tears just reading it. I am very proud of both you and Roz, sounds like you both remained calm and took care of business....me, I think I woulda passed out! Man!
That is so scary. I can't even begin to imagine such an experience...thanks for sharing and kiss Coleman for me. I look forward to reading your blog. Love, aliona

Derrick Nijel Gibson said...

Who could have imagined all of the drama occuring on that little corner of Manhattan? Oh sure, it's not a sleepy little village, but an episode of ER?

You and Roz are truly blessed with Coleman and while I cannot give you the father's perspective I can share the son's: it is an eternal goal.

Linda Kuriloff said...

Thank goodness you were both there for that! Think of how much more frightening it would've been for one parent to have to deal on his or her own. Thanks also for reminding me how precious health and wellness are. Sometimes I need that reminder to keep me grateful. Give Coleman a kiss from his auntie Linda.

Linda Kuriloff said...

Thank goodness you were both there for that! It would've been much more frightening for one parent to have to deal with the situation on his or her own. Your account reminds me to be grateful for health and wellness. I need that sometimes. Give Coleman a kiss for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, what a terrifying experience! If nothing else the situation shows what a great team you both are. Coleman is very lucky in many ways. Happy belated Mother's and upcoming Father's Day!

Anonymous said...

One of my earliest memories is that of dragging my baby brother into the living room and to my parents as he experienced something very close to what you are describing here. Scary stuff. But normal stuff. Ya think that these little creatures would come with an owner's manual or something?!? Thanks for sharing this. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I think you are off to a great start as a dad. There are bound to be challenges and if it wasn't for you we would have been in the hospital with nothing but my lip gloss.

Love you madly

Wifey

Anonymous said...

Joy and fear! I remember Prince telling me the parametics were on the elevator with him. Had no idea it was for Coleman until I ran into Roz the next day. Must admit, I was really afraid that something may be wrong but Roz eased my fears when she told me her mother instincts spoke to her and said Coleman would be fine. I started praying for your family. A couple of days later when I phoned and Roz told me you and Coleman both had colds I brought you something to eat because I Knew that that was something I could do in the aftermath of the big ordeal. It also made me better because you often feel in these kind of situations there is nothing you can do and I really wanted to do something in support of you guys. You are the Big Daddy Craig,Best dad and I love your family. I really love how you express your feelings and sensitivities. Blessings Natalie e

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig,
I just read your blog and wow. You all are so precious and that sweet little angel is a gem. I'm glad that Coleman is fine. Everything is an amazing learning experience even if what we learn is to get more in touch with the love that is deep inside of us, with the natarul instinct, with the expression that when shared is felt by all of us because we are all connected and at different times in our lives have felt the very same things.
Never Ending Blessings,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was enchanted and smiling in the beginning as I read your words, just as we all are during the early moments of parenthood. Then as in life, change happens, sweet change, bitter change and then the gripping suddenly terrifying change like your's happens. I think once you become a mommy or daddy those past coping skills which we may think were mastered can crumble in a ... heartbeat when change destablizes our children. Although, we can not prevent all change parents can prepare to handle some consequences so get CPR and 1st aid certified, to drop in your new "Parent Coping Skills" bag. Peace and Blessings from my family to yours, amina

Anonymous said...

Craig, how gorgeous a man you are in the light of transforming such an event into the most amazing images of love & peace.

How blessed coleman is to have chosen you as his father.

How brave you are to take such a momonet, put it into words, and then put it to paper. Wow!
I am inspired.
With love,
Pennie

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD you are in a space, place to love, nurture, care for your child to watch him grow safe and warm with all the love, hugs his family can give. Cousin Carolyn

Pharah said...

Craig:

You have managed to sum up all of the love, joy, pain, fear and relief in that one passage. Reading it made me realize that parenting is a combination of joy, hardwork and worry-something that did not really hit home until now.

You made me want to hug my daddy just a little bit closer.

Thank you.
Pharah

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig....how touching...it nearly brought me to tears....I lost a son 11 years ago, just prior to when we was due to be born into this world, and it is still devastating to me, so whenever I witness that beautiful bond shared between you and Coleman, or any other man and son, it goes straight to my heart fibers. I wish you contiunued growth of wonderment, learning curve, joy, discovery, etc with your beautiful son!!
Michael Duvert

Anonymous said...

So here I am trudging through old e-mails (I DO get behind) and here is this gem. Thank you for sharing the blessing of fathering Coleman with us - the joy, the terror, the love. I am so glad he has you and Roz. And so glad you are generous enough to share your experience with us. Your love, wisdom, and artistry shine through your blogging. I look forward to reading more.

Love,
Mimi

P.S. Happy Father's Day!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lord!!! for having your Angels in their rightful place, of the home of Craig and Roz. Hi, Craig .....Awesome and moving story. I felt what you and Roz was feeling at that very moment; "Oh God! please not my baby". I remember saying those words when Sharrell had her 1st Grand Mild seizure (5yrs old). Which a fever of 105 triggered it(now 23yrs old). Again, God had his Angels of protection around her. In His Word, Jesus says, "Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs". Matthew 19:13.....Craig and Roz, our children does not belong to us!! they belong to the Heavenly Father, they are our inheritance. May God Bless you!! Real Good....
Love,
Steve & Joyce
(Vanessa W. Brother)

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig,
Your words are a reflection of both your love for CLW and your wonderful artistry. My mind cannot process the thought of a world without CLW (or you and Roz). I guess the most amazing thing is the incredible resiliency of babies! See you at the ocean. --dmc

Anonymous said...

Craig,
You are a very gifted writer. Thank you for sharing the world of Coleman with us. My life is enriched greatly whenever I spend time with you all. Much love.
HDFoy

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! Thank you for allowing me into your world. I am at work, reading this, and desperately batting the tears back into my eyes, so as not to cause anyone to notice how moved I am. To hear you share, gush about your family, and the love of your child in particular, is amazing, sweet, warm, wonderful, and oh so special. I wish you and Roz, and Coleman all the best of everything.

Your friend,
Yvette

Anonymous said...

Really weeping now Craig. Read the blog in reverse order.Thank you for sharing. I think you become a parent really become a parent that first time your child is sick. It's when you realize, you know, you'd take a bullet, a bus for this kid. Do anything to come between them and harm's way; but a seizure is not a bus or a bullet so you move over and let the doctors do what they do. You survived it. You all survived it. Give thanks! Life is precious, we got stay watchful or we'll miss seeing how fortunate we are. Everyday's a gift. Somebody wrote having a child is like having your heart walking around without YOU. Yeah it's just like that!

Anonymous said...

what a cute kid. it's so beautiful to see an african american father so attached to his baby. i think you guys should do a documentary on the subject, to show people that there are good black men that adore their children. God bless

Anonymous said...

parenthood/fatherhood is the most precious gift one can receive...
our little treasures teach us much of life's lessons,
it's love, laughter, inner and outer
peace, patience, and most of all CLEARITY... you, craig, have made the conscious decision of taking on the life lesson of fatherhood... with each chapter you and coleman will have many questions... the solution is in the process, not the finished product... enjoying every moment of the journey... if there is anything as a parent/mother i have learned and continue to learn, is to be STILL and enjoy the moment...for it only happens once!
as a father, you will never know all the answers, you will never have all the right solutions, and you will never be PERFECT...
YOU CAN LOVE, and LOVE completely, fully and
unconditionally...
keep moving with light, laughter, happiness and faith my brother...
you have an incredible anchor in ROZ...
together with your extended earth family, and his spirit guides.. coleman will accomplish everything you and our ancestors set before him... GREATNESS!!!
thank you for taking your place among the great warriors my brother....
always in prayer, and peace...
Grace-Ann and family (the blakes)

Anonymous said...

Craig,
This is so YOU! Loving, amazing, open, inspiring. Thank you, thank you. Love, SS

Stephon Fuller said...

Wow, I'm glad Coleman is okay. that had to be a terrifying moment; I could feel it just reading it.

Stephon